Part 1 of the Immigration Act about the labour market and illegal working.
Part 1 of the act will deal with the exploitation of the labour market by:
- providing a logical enforcement strategy to crack down on serious exploitation of workers by establishing a new director who will oversee the relevant enforcement agencies
- making it a criminal offence to work illegally, seizing illegal workers’ earnings as the proceeds of crime
- making it easier to prosecute employers who deliberately or ‘turn a blind eye’ to employing illegal workers, and making sanctions tougher
- creating powers to close businesses and apply special compliance measures to employers who continue to flout the law
- ensuring that licenses for the sale of alcohol and late night refreshments are subject to compliance with immigration laws
- addressing illegal working in licensed premises: draft regulations to make provision for Scotland and Northern Ireland which is equivalent to that for England and Wales