Outlines our decisions following the HS2 property compensation consultation in 2013.
Following the HS2 property compensation consultation 2013 we will introduce an HS2 property package including:
- express purchase for owner-occupied properties within the safeguarded area outlined on the HS2 Ltd website
- a voluntary purchase offer available for property owners living up to 120 metres from the railway in rural areas
- a need to sell scheme to assist property owners who have a compelling need to sell their home but are unable to do so because of our plans to build HS2
- ‘rent-back’ - a rule that means that if a property that the government has purchased under any of our schemes is suitable for letting, the previous owner can, if they wish, be considered for a Crown tenancy
We will consult separately over the summer on 2 supplementary cash payment schemes and will seek views on consequential changes to the voluntary purchase offer and the need to sell scheme, for example to enable any cash payments received to be reclaimed from homeowners who later choose to sell their homes to us under either of these schemes.
More about the new property package of measures:
- Your guide to our new property proposals and the HS2 residents’ charter
- Your guide to the HS2 express purchase scheme
- Your guide to rent back
- New help for property owners affected by HS2, press release 9 April 2014
- HS2 Phase One property, written ministerial statement 9 April 2014