The procedure for an application by a trade union for a certificate of independence.
This guidance explains the procedure involved in an application by a trade union for a certificate of independence under section 6 of the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992. It also deals with the granting of a certificate of independence to a new union created by the amalgamation of 2 or more trade unions currently holding certificates of independence.
It is intended for guidance only and should not be regarded as a complete or authoritative statement of the law.
It contains sections on:
- the statutory provisions
- how to make an application
- action by the Certification Office
- the criteria used to determine independence
- the Certification Officer’s decision
- the procedure where amalgamating unions already hold a certificate of independence