© Crown copyright 2020
This publication is licensed under the terms of the Open Government Licence v3.0 except where otherwise stated. To view this licence, visit nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3 or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew, London TW9 4DU, or email: email@example.com.
Where we have identified any third party copyright information you will need to obtain permission from the copyright holders concerned.
This publication is available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-join-a-cloud-video-platform-cvp-hearing/how-to-join-cloud-video-platform-cvp-for-a-video-hearing
1. About CVP hearings
Before you join the hearing, you should be in a private and quiet area so that people do not hear your conversation and to reduce excess background noise. See this guide on what to expect when joining a video or phone hearing.
It is a criminal offence to record a court hearing. You should not record the video or audio or take screenshots of your hearing.
If you have any problems using CVP, contact the court dealing with your hearing, the courts details will be in your hearing notice.
2. Joining on your computer
2.1 Compatible browsers
For the best experience, you should use the latest version of Google Chrome.
CVP supports most browsers and depending on its version, the ability to share your screen and different files.
|Google Chrome||43 and later||share your screen and share different files|
|Mozilla Firefox||38 and later||share your screen and share different files|
|Opera||23 and later||share PDF files only. screen-sharing is not supported|
|Edge||20.10240 and later||share PDF files only. screen-sharing is not supported|
|Edge Chromium||83.0.x.x and later||share your screen and share different files.|
|Safari||20.10240 and later||share PDF files only. screen-sharing is not supported|
|Internet Explorer||10 and later. You’ll also need Flash Player 11 and Active X plug-in||share PDF files only. screen-sharing is not supported|
2.2 Connecting to a CVP room from a browser
1. Close all browsers and tabs and open a new browser window. For the best experience maximise the browser window.
2. Copy the address (URL) for the CVP room from the email sent to you arranging the hearing. Paste the address (URL) into the address bar of your browser and press ‘Enter’.
3. A window with the Ministry of Justice logo will open.
If the court has given you an alias e.g. Witness A, please type the alias in the box labelled ‘Your name’. Aliases are alternative names which may be provided in some criminal cases.
If you have not been given an alias, type your full name into the name box, followed by your role in brackets, for example John Smith (Claimant’s solicitor). Your name and role in the hearing will be visible to all other parties.
4. Select audio and video by clicking the downward arrow at the bottom right of the window and clicking the top option, then click ‘Connect’.
5. In the window that opens, check that both Microphone and Camera are set to ‘Default’. You should now see yourself in the preview video screen in the middle of the screen. Press ‘Start’
6. For non-criminal cases only - Enter your PIN from the hearing notice you received and press ‘Connect’.
7. If you have no PIN, please select ‘Guest’ as your role and press ‘Connect’.
8. You will be placed into a digital waiting room until the court opens the conference. You can mute your microphone or turn off your camera using the buttons at the bottom of the screen.
9. To maximise the video screen, click the blue arrow to the bottom left of the window, this will minimise the chat window.
10. Chat functions should only be used to report technical issues for example “I can’t hear you” or “You don’t seem to be able to hear me”.
11. Once your hearing has finished, you will be asked to leave the call. You should then exit the CVP room by clicking the ‘hang up’ button at the bottom of the screen.
2.3 If you have problems with CVP on your computer
2. A window with the Ministry of Justice logo will open. Type your name into the ‘Your name’ box. Then press ‘Settings’
3. You may see a notification window asking you to allow the website to access you camera and microphone. If you do, press ‘Allow’.
4. You can test your audio works by selecting ‘play test sound’.
5. If your video quality is poor:
- in the drop-down menu labelled ‘Bandwidth’ select the Maximum (kbps) option
- in the ‘Screensharing quality’ box, slide all the way to the right-hand side next to ‘Motion’
- select the check box next to ‘View full motion presentation by default
- click on the green ‘OK’ button
6. If you need technical support, call our helpdesk on 0330 8089405.
7. If technical support cannot solve your problem then you must tell the court immediately. Contact details for the court are in your hearing notice.
3. Joining on your mobile or tablet
Use these instructions to download the Cloud Video Platform mobile application on either your Android or Apple smartphone or tablet device.
3.1 Downloading the application
1. Download the application from your device’s application store, for Android users, this is called ‘Play store’ and ‘App store’ for Apple users.
2. Search for the ‘Pexip Infinity Connect’ app. You may find 2 versions of this app with different icon colours.
3. Download the app in a black and white icon. Do not download the app with the same name in orange as it will not let you join the hearing.
4. If the app asks you to grant it access to your device, give it access to your camera and microphone.
3.2 Joining your hearing
1. When you open the app, you should see this welcome screen. Enter your name.
2. Press ‘Ok’.
3. Press the green camera button to begin a video call.
4. and 5. You do not need to use the ‘content’ and ‘voice’ features.
6. The settings menu labelled 6 will give you additional options for your camera, headset and microphone.
7. Copy and paste the hearing room URL from your hearing notice into the URL bar.
8. Press the green camera button.
9. For non-criminal cases only - Enter your PIN from the hearing notice you received and press ‘Connect’.
10. Press ‘Join’.
11\ If you have no PIN, please select ‘Join’.
12. If the 3rd option down is ‘Headset’, press it and select ‘speaker’ if you are not using a headset.
3.3 Keypad functions
You will see a number of icons that you can click on during the hearing.
- Icon A will show or hide the sidebar.
- Icon B will turn your camera on or off.
- Icon C will turn your microphone on or off.
- Icon D will disconnect the call. Only use when instructed by the judge or panel.
- Icon E allows you to share content such as pictures and documents.
3.4 If you have problems with CVP on mobile or tablet
- Please call our helpdesk on 0330 8089405.
- If technical support cannot solve your problem then you must tell the court immediately. Contact details for the court are in your hearing notice.
4. Video tutorials
Video tutorials on joining a hearing using CVP.
Join a magistrates’ court criminal hearing using CVP
Join a Crown court criminal hearing using CVP
Join an Employment Tribunal hearing using CVP