How to appeal to the Civil Service Appeal Board

How civil servants and ex-civil servants can appeal to the Civil Service Appeal Board against certain employment-related decisions.


Notification of intention to appeal to the CSAB

This file is in an OpenDocument format

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


The Civil Service Appeal Board (CSAB) hears appeals from civil servants and ex‑civil servants against:

  • non-payment of compensation or the amount of compensation paid on dismissal from the Civil Service on inefficiency grounds for unsatisfactory attendance or poor performance
  • forfeiture of superannuation decisions (made by the Minister for the Cabinet Office)
  • refusal of permission to participate in political activities


If you think you’ve been dismissed unfairly you can take your case to an employment tribunal.

In compensation cases, the board can’t consider the dismissal element.

About the board

The Civil Service Appeal Board (CSAB) is an independent body. Its members are selected fairly by open competition.

The CSAB Secretariat supports the board and is staffed by the Department for Work and Pensions.

Published 1 January 2013