Information about the regulations concerning the horse passport and requirement to keep records of medicines given. These regulations apply to owners and keepers of all horses, ponies and donkeys, with the exception of semi wild horses in areas such as the New Forest.
Information covered includes:
- medicines available from vets
- medicines available from merchants, saddlers or pharmacies
- medicine use that does not need to be recorded in the passport, but must be recorded elsewhere
- if a horse is declared in the Horse Passport as not intended for human consumption
- duplicate or replacement passports
- other considerations for horse medicines
Detailed information can be found on the Horse medicines and record keeping requirements page.
Horse medicines record (in MS Word) is a printable document to be kept alongside the horse passport, detailing all of the legal requirements for horses intended for human consumption (and those whose declaration has not been signed).
Get more information on the Defra Horse Passport Regulations.