This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Command paper sets out Department of Health’s response to House of Commons Health Committee report on Nursing and Midwifery Council.
Government Response to the House of Commons Health Committee Report of Session 2013-14: 2013 accountability hearing with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (web version)
Ref: ISBN 978 1 474 10049 6, Cm 8800 PDF, 105KB, 6 pages
Government Response to the House of Commons Health Committee Report of Session 2013-14: 2013 accountability hearing with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (print-ready)
Ref: ISBN 978 1 474 10048 9, Cm 8800 PDF, 103KB, 8 pages
The Health Committee report, ‘2013 Accountability Hearing with the Nursing and Midwifery Council’, directed 5 recommendations to the department:
- 3 recommendations relate to legislative changes around the NMC’s Fitness-to-Practise powers
- 2 recommendations relate to the recent review of the Mutual Recognition of Professional Qualifications Directive and the NMC’s ability to apply appropriate language controls to European Economic Area (EEA) applicants
In response to these recommendations, the department will:
- work with the Law Commission to simplify the legislative framework for professional regulation
- update the Nursing and Midwifery Order 2001
- make sure the NMC has the power to put in place proportionate language controls for EEA nationals that are compliant with European Union law
Read the full House of Commons Health Committee Report on the Parliament website.
Published: 27 March 2014
From: Department of Health