The guidance that driving examiners follow when carrying out driving instructor tests and standards checks in Great Britain.
Ref: DVSA ADI1 PDF, 1.3MB, 115 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The guidance sets out how driving examiners carry out the following types of instructor tests and inspections:
- approved driving instructor practical tests
- standards checks
- official register of driving instructor training inspections
- fleet driver trainer practical tests
It also sets out:
- general advice and legal matters
- staff management advice
- responsibilities under the Data Protection Act
Published: 7 April 2014
Updated: 9 March 2016
- Added 'How an ADI can request a Welsh-speaking examiner'.
- Updated ADI1 by removing reference to appealing against a standard check decision following a recent ruling.
- Updated ADI1 with 2 main changes. 'Any candidate may take the part 2 test in an automatic vehicle' and 'People with a disability who hold a restricted driving licence are no longer required to take an emergency control assessment (ECA)'.
- Updated ADI1 with details of changes to driving licence counterpart.
- Updated 'ADI1 standard operating procedure'.
- First published.