Get proof you asked a court to protect your child from a partner

Sample letters to get evidence of a restraining order or injunction against an abusive partner, if you're applying for legal aid.



If you asked for protection for your child against an abusive partner, the court may have issued:

  • a restraining order before and during the case
  • a protective injunction after the case

Protective injunctions include non-molestation orders and forced marriage protection orders.

To get a copy of the order or injunction, you should:

  • fill in the relevant sample letter as best you can
  • send it to the court that issued the order or injunction

It usually costs £5 for a copy but you may be able to get help with the fee.

You can use the order or injunction as evidence when you apply for legal aid to divorce or separate from an abusive partner.

If you’ve applied for an injunction and an order, that still counts as evidence. You’ll need to provide a copy of both applications.

Published 14 April 2014