Get proof that a partner has been charged with domestic violence

Use this sample letter to get a copy of the domestic violence charge from the police, if you're applying for legal aid.

Applies to England and Wales



To get a copy of the police charge, you should:

  • fill in as much as you can of the sample letter
  • send it to the Data Protection Officer at the police force

You may have to pay a fee for your copy.

You can use the police charge as evidence if you’re applying for legal aid to divorce or separate from an abusive partner.

The conviction must be on this list of offences.

Published 22 May 2014