The government’s aim is to be delivering 300,000 new homes a year on average. Garden communities provide new housing, infrastructure, jobs and services in sustainable settlements.
This toolkit draws on the experiences of the projects that are part of the Garden Communities programme and aims to provide useful information for anyone involved or interested in the development of garden communities.
The main characteristics are:
- a purpose built new settlement, or large extension to an existing town
- a community with a clear identity and attractive environment
- it provides a mix of homes, including affordable and self-build
- planned by local authorities or private sector in consultation with the local community
As well as building new homes, the communities develop:
- job opportunities
- attractive green space and public realm areas
- transport infrastructure, including roads, buses and cycle routes
- community infrastructure, schools, community and health centres
- a plan for long-term stewardship of community assets
If you’d like some more information about a garden community, you can email us your question.
Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org