Further education institutions: changing a name

How to change the name of an institution in the further education sector, including the criteria used to assess applications and advice on sensitive words.



This guidance applies to:

  • further education corporations
  • sixth-form college corporations
  • bodies conducting institutions that are designated as being within the further education (FE) sector

Corporations or other bodies running an institution within the FE sector can change their name:

  • in accordance with their Instruments and Articles
  • with the approval of the Secretary of State (SoS) for Education - this does not apply to some bodies running a designated institution

There is a separate process for:

Published 28 September 2018