Free schools: open schools and successful applications
Details of open free schools and successful applications in the pre-opening stage.
This file is in an OpenDocument format
MS Excel Spreadsheet, 63.3KB
Details of all schools in the free school programme including:
- type of school
- age group served
- local authority
- opening date
- regional schools commissioner (RSC) region
It includes the local authorities launching a competition to open new special free schools (one school in each local authority).
‘Free schools’ includes university technical colleges (UTCs), studio schools and free school presumption schools.
Section 6A of the Education Act 2011, which changed the arrangements for establishing new schools, is called the academy or free school presumption.
You can also access details of open academies and academy projects in development.
Published: 28 October 2014
Updated: 12 April 2017
- Updated spreadsheet to include new projects added to pipeline following the wave 12 announcement, a list of local authorities that will run special free school competitions and open free schools up to April 2017.
- Updated to include data on schools up to December 2016.
- Corrected the local authority and regional school commissioner region for REAch2 AP Meadow (Lowestoft) school. Also corrected the local authority for the Anglo-Portuguese School of London.
- Updated to include data on schools up to 16 September 2016.
- Updated to include the first set of successful wave 11 applications.
- Updated document to include data on schools up to 1 May 2016.
- Updated spreadsheet with successful applications in wave 10 of the free school programme.
- Added free schools opening in September 2015 and successful wave 9 applications set to open in September 2016 and beyond.
- Updated spreadsheet - removed closed Durham Free School, changed the names of 3 open schools and 1 due to open.
- Changes reflect the closure of Durham Free School at Easter and a change to the number of schools expected to open in 2015 and beyond.
- Added successful wave 8 applications set to open in September 2015 and beyond.
- Added updated list including 3 new schools - NAS Church Lawton School, Pentland Special School and the Bridge Integrated Learning Space.
- Added updated spreadsheet.
- First published.