Free school pre-opening guide
Guidance for groups who are in the process of opening a free school.
Guidance on how to complete the necessary steps to open one of the following types of free school:
- special (for children with special educational needs or disabilities)
- alternative provision (for children who can’t go to a mainstream school)
- 16 to 19
Published: 30 September 2014
Updated: 13 October 2016
- Updated guide for groups who got approval in September 2016 to open a free school (wave 11).
- Updated document with changes to information on safeguarding, inclusivity and religious character, funding and financial governance.
- Document updated with changes to the admissions, procurement and governance sections.
- Updated document. Revised sections include: governance, funding, site and buildings, admissions and religious character. Added information on inclusivity, school food, and proposer groups.
- First published.