Appeal a First-tier Tribunal (Social Entitlement Chamber) decision – for the Secretary of State, HM Revenue and Customs and local authorities: Form UT2

The Secretary of State, HM Revenue and Customs and local authorities can use this form to apply for permission to appeal if you have been refused by the First-tier Tribunal, or appeal to the Upper Tribunal if you have permission.


Application form: UT2

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


You must send documents to the tribunal using the E-Filing service for proceedings:

  • that start on or after 4 December 2023
  • where a party is either represented by a legal representative, or is a government department, agency or public body

You can find more information about using the E-Filing service for these proceedings.

Find more court and tribunal forms by category.

Find out how HM Courts and Tribunals Service uses personal information you give when you fill in a form.

Published 1 July 2012
Last updated 4 December 2023 + show all updates
  1. Information on using the E-Filing service has been added to the 'details' section and the form.

  2. First published.