Guidance setting out the principles by which children without a school place are found one as quickly as possible.
It is for:
- school leaders and headteachers
- school staff
- governing bodies
- academy sponsors
- local authorities
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
The guidance explains:
- the duties of schools and local authorities in relation to the ‘School admissions code’
- how to escalate disputes about individual cases
- how local authorities can request a direction for an academy to admit a particular child
Local authorities can request a direction from the Secretary of State using the appropriate form:
You should only request a direction as a last resort.