Extension of leases (PG28)
How to extend the term of a lease and register the transaction (practice guide 28).
Agreements for the extension of leases are common. However, a lease cannot simply be extended by deed. A new lease needs to be granted.
Aimed at conveyancers, this guide explains how:
- these transactions may be best effected
- to lodge the necessary applications for registration
We only provide factual information and impartial advice about our procedures. Read more about the advice we give.
Published: 13 October 2003
Updated: 25 July 2016
- Section 2.3 has been amended to make clear when the applicant needs to provide evidence to remove a form A restriction on surrender of a lease.
- Link to the advice we offer added.
- Welsh translation added.
- Sections 2.1 and 3 have been amended as a result of the publication of brand new [practice guide 19A: restrictions and leasehold properties](https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/restrictions-and-leasehold-properties-pg19a)
- First published.