Statutory guidance

Excluded flood risk activities: environmental permits

The types of work on or near a main river or sea defence that don't need an environmental permit so are excluded from the regulations.



You don’t need an environmental permit, formerly known as a ‘flood defence consent’, if you plan to do one of these excluded activities. But you must operate within the description and conditions of the exclusion.

If you plan to do any other activities on or near a main river that aren’t listed here as excluded activities, check if you can register for an exemption or apply for a permit to do your work.

Published 13 October 2016