European Strategic Action Plan on antibiotic resistance published
The UK government, along with other European Union member states, has agreed this new World Health Organization (WHO) initiative on antibiotic resistance.
PDF, 2.74MB, 13 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org . Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The UK government, along with other European Union member states, has agreed this new World Health Organization (WHO) initiative on antibiotic resistance in recognition that ‘together we will have greater impact’.
The recognises that antibiotic resistant bacteria do not stop at national boundaries and it is vital to:
- share information
- develop effective interventions to prevent and slow down the development of multi-resistant bacteria
- work together to stimulate the development of new drugs and diagnostics
The recommendations of the Action Plan include:
- strengthening surveillance of antibiotic resistance
- promoting prudent prescribing
- strengthening infection control
- promoting innovation and research on new drugs and technology
- improving patient awareness to develop an integrated approach
All European countries are expected to bolster a whole range of activities to tackle antibiotic resistance under a resolution passed by the European Regional Committee of the WHO.
Published: 16 November 2011
From: Department of Health