European Union Savings Directive: tax certificate (EUSD (SWT)1)

Use form EUSD (SWT)1 to apply for a tax certificate from HM Revenue and Customs to prevent withholding tax being deducted from savings.


European Savings Directive: special withholding tax EUSD (SWT)1

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Guidance on the application process for the certificate and the form you need to make your application.

You can apply for a certificate if:

  • you receive savings income paid by a paying agent established in a territory which will apply a withholding tax. These territories are Andorra, Austria, British Virgin Islands, Gibraltar, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Jersey, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, Netherlands Antilles, San Marino, Switzerland and Turks & Caicos Islands
  • you wish to receive savings income without the deduction of withholding tax
  • the territory has adopted this option as a method of avoiding withholding tax - your paying agent will be able to advise you which options are open to you

Email HMRC to ask for this form in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Updates to this page

Published 13 January 2006

Sign up for emails or print this page