The main aims of the 2012 campaign were to educate and inform patients, healthcare professionals and the general public about the appropriate use of antibiotics and the importance of preventing resistance. It also aimed to encourage GPs and other healthcare professionals to prescribe antibiotics responsibly.
Activities in 2012 included:
- educational materials to support local NHS campaigns
- promotion of the TARGET toolkit of educational materials for GPs
- continued promotion of the Start Smart then Focus guidance
- screening of videos in GP surgeries via the Life channel
- editorials in professional journals
- stories in the national media
EAAD takes place on 18 November each year.