The purpose of this circular, which applies only in England, is to provide updated policy guidance on the English National Parks and the Broads ('the Parks').
This circular is relevant to those bodies with appropriate statutory functions and will be of interest to all those who have a key role in contributing to the success of the Parks, including landowners and land managers, private companies and voluntary bodies.
In England this circular replaces Department of the Environment Circular 12/962 and joint Department of Environment, Department of Transport and Welsh Office Circular DoE 125/77, DTp 8/77, WO 182/773.
Whilst the National Parks and the Broads are established under two separate Acts of Parliament, the similarities between them are such that this circular has been produced to apply equally to them all. It sets out in relation to the Parks:
- a vision for the English National Parks and the Broads for 2030;
- the key outcomes the Government is seeking over the next five years to ensure early progress towards the vision and suggested actions for achieving those outcomes;
- the key statutory duties of the National Park authorities (‘NPAs’) and the Broads Authority (together ‘the Authorities’) and how they should be taken forward;
- policy on governance of the Authorities;
- the contributions needed from others.