- Natural England
- Part of:
- England Coast Path: improving public access to the coast
- 26 June 2014
- Last updated:
- 27 September 2017, see all updates
- Applies to:
Find out about Natural England's progress with improving coastal access in England.
PDF, 547KB, 1 page
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This map shows where work to improve coastal access has been completed, is under way or expected to start.
Published: 26 June 2014
Updated: 27 September 2017
- Map updated to show that East Head to Shoreham stretch is now at stage 4.
- Map updated to show Jaywick to Harwich stretch has reached stage 4
- Map updated to show that Burnham-on-Crouch to Maldon and Portsmouth to South Hayling stretches have reached stage 4.
- Map updated to show work has started on the Tilbury to Southend-on-Sea, Southend-on-Sea to Wallasea Island, Wallasea Island to Burnham-on-Crouch stretches.
- Map updated to show work has started on the Eastbourne to Camber stretch.
- Map updated to show Lulworth Cove to Highcliffe stretch has been split into 2 separate stretches: Lulworth Cove to Kimmeridge Bay and Kimmeridge Bay to Highcliffe.
- Map updated to show work has started on the Felixstowe Ferry to Bawdsey and Bawdsey to Aldeburgh stretches.
- Replaced map: work has started on St Mawes to Cremyll; Grain to Gravesend has been extended and renamed Grain to Woolwich.
- Map updated to show work has started on the Shotley Gate to Felixstowe Ferry stretch.
- Walney stretch has been approved. Work has started on 2 new stretches in the north west: Cleveleys to Pier Head, Liverpool and Birkenhead to the Welsh border.
- Map updated: the end point of the Grain to Gravesend stretch was changed in March 2017 from Gravesend in Kent to Woolwich in London in order to join the capital to the England Coast Path along the Thames Estuary.
- Map updated to show that the Ramsgate to Whitstable stretch has been approved.
- Map updated; work has now started on the Humber Bridge to Easington stretch
- Replaced map: work has now started on the Penzance to St Mawes stretch
- Updated map; Hopton-on-Sea to Sea Palling now open to the public.
- Work has started on 3 new stretches : Mablethorpe to Humber Bridge; Amble to Bamburgh; Bamburgh to the Scottish Border (including Holy Island).
- Two new stretches at stage 1: Grain to Gravesend and Isle of Sheppey.
- Replaced map - work has started on the Shoreham-by-Sea to Eastbourne stretch
- Replaced map to show that Filey Brigg to Newport Bridge is open to the public and Newport Bridge to North Gare has been approved by the Secretary of State.
- Replaced map for opening of the path between Folkestone to Ramsgate and Camber to Folkestone.
- Updated map to show that work has started on the Calshot to Gosport and Gosport to Portsmouth stretches of coast.
- Replaced map with new version showing that the Brean to Minehead stretch is now open for to the public
- Replaced map to show that work is in progress on the Silecroft to Silverdale and Silverdale to Cleveleys stretches.
- Replaced map to update name of Easington to Filey Brigg stretch (was previously Kilnsea to Filey Brigg).
- Replaced map to show Iwade to Grain stretch as 'work in progress' and change to name of the Portsmouth to South Hayling stretch.
- Replaced map to show change to provisional start date for 3 stretches in the east of England (numbers 35, 36 and 37).
- Map updated - work has now started on the Highcliffe to Calshot and Lulworth Cove to Highcliffe stretches.
- Replaced map to show that work has started on stretches of coast in Essex and the south west of England.
- 2 new stretches added: Hunstanton to Sutton Bridge and Aldeburgh to Hopton-on-Sea.
- 3 new stretches started: Gosport to South Hayling, South Hayling to East Head, East Head to Shoreham.
- 2 new stretches started: Skegness to Mablethorpe and Sutton Bridge to Skegness.
- Added updated map which shows Walney Island and South Bents to Amble stretches as 'in progress'.
- New map to show the 2020 programme
- First published.