DVSA enforcement sanctions policy
Sanctions and procedures the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) Traffic Examiners will take for road traffic and construction and use offences.
PDF, 7.81MB, 316 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The policy sets out what action DVSA Traffic Examiners will take when dealing with most offences that they find when they carry out roadside checks.
It’s used to make sure that DVSA takes consistent action when carrying out checks.
Published: 30 August 2012
Updated: 17 March 2017
- A new version of the Enforcement Sanctions Policy has now been published. The option of cabotage has been added to 'Drives a vehicle in contravention of a prohibition (GV170 or GV171)'.
- New EC legislation has been introduced which replaces the previous legislation. The Enforcement Sanctions Policy has been updated to remove the references to the old legislation and replace it with the new legislative references. There are no practical implications for drivers and operators resulting from the change of regulation.
- A new version of the Enforcement Sanctions Policy has now been published. A new offence - 12-10 FAIL TO COMPLY WITH A LONDON TRAFFIC ORDER - appears on page 292.
- An updated version of the guide containing new driving licence offences has been added.
- The latest version of the Enforcement Sanctions Policy contains new offences.
- The new version of the PDF contains an amendment to one of the thresholds VOSA apply when dealing with insecure loads.It also has details of a new offence code to be used in relation to brake offences.
- Minor, but important, changes to the advice on insecure loads which might affect the action taken by examiners.
- Document updated with new Fixed Penalty Notice figures.
- Overwrote the PDF file with the latest version.
- First published.