The East Lancashire Line runs between Preston and Colne, through Blackburn, Accrington and Burnley in north west England. Network Rail refers to the main part of this line, from Preston to Gannow as ‘The Roses Line’.
||Lancashire, Blackburn, Burnley, Pendle
||About 1 hours and 10 minutes — one way
||November 2006. Extended to include Burnley Manchester Road on the Copy Pit route January 2011
||East Lancashire Community Rail Partnership (CRP)
||Community Rail Lancashire
The East Lancashire Line route serves the following 19 stations:
- Lostock Hall
- Bamber Bridge
- Cherry Tree
- Mill Hill
- Church & Oswaldtwistle
- Rose Grove
- Burnley Manchester Road (included from January 2011)
- Burnley Barracks
- Burnley Central
The East Lancashire Line was designated as a community line by the Strategic Rail Authority in November 2006. The designation includes the railway line between Gannow Junction and Colne and the passenger rail service between Preston and Colne / Burnley Manchester Road. Apart from Preston, all stations listed form part of the designation.
Network Rail strategic route plan
The East Lancashire Line has been identified as a rural route within Network Rail’s Cross Pennines, Yorks and Humber and north west (H) strategic route plan.
The East Lancashire Line is supported by the East Lancashire Community Rail Partnership which was formed in 2006. This partnership is one of 5 to fall under the umbrella of Community Rail Lancashire. Altogether the partnerships support 7 lines or routes in Lancashire:
- Clitheroe Line (Clitheroe to Manchester) — Clitheroe Line CRP
- East Lancashire Line (Preston to Colne / Burnley Manchester Road) — the East Lancashire CRP
- Bentham Line (Leeds to Morecambe / Heysham Port) — Leeds, Lancaster and Morecambe CRP
- South Fylde Line (Blackpool South to Preston) — the South Fylde Line CRP
- Preston to Ormskirk Line — the West of Lancashire CRP
- Wigan to Southport Line — the West of Lancashire CRP
- Wigan to Kirkby Line — the West of Lancashire CRP
The Wigan to Southport and Wigan to Kirkby Lines are not designated community rail routes.