This statement sets out Defra’s policy on ethical procurement.
It is based largely on the following principles with advice on how to put them into practice:
- Working conditions are safe;
- Good health is promoted;
- Employment is freely chosen;
- Working hours are not excessive;
- Wages meet at least national legal standards;
- Training is provided;
- No discrimination is practised;
- Diversity and good workforce practices are encouraged;
- Child labour is eliminated;
- No inhumane treatment is allowed.