Definitive maps of public rights of way: change the legal records

How to make changes to the legal status of a public right of way.

Applies to England


A guide to definitive maps and changes to public rights of way - 2008 revision

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


A right of way is recorded on the ‘definitive’ map and becomes a legal record of its existence at that point.

Use this guide to follow the process to create, divert or close a public right of way in England.

Updates to this page

Published 1 January 2008

Sign up for emails or print this page