Corporation Tax: reclaim tax paid by close companies on loans to participators (L2P)

Claim relief online for loans that have been repaid, released or written off.


Reclaim online (sign in using Government Gateway)

Reclaim by post (use this version if you're an agent or cannot reclaim online)


If you’re a close company that’s paid tax on a loan to a participator, you may be able to reclaim that tax. Once the loan has been repaid, released or written off, if the relief is due, you can either use the:

  • online service
  • print and post form

To use the online service, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you use the service.

You must fill in a separate form for each claim.

To make a claim online, your Business Tax Account will need to have either your:

  • Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number
  • VAT reference number

You can add the UTR or VAT reference number from the homepage of your Business Tax Account.

Once you have made a claim online, you’ll get a reference number to track the progress of your claim.

Email HMRC to ask for this form in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Before you start the postal form

You’ll need to fill in the postal form fully before you can save it as a PDF file or print it. You cannot save a partly completed form so have all your information with you before you start to fill it in.

You’ll need:

  • your UTR
  • the start and end dates of the accounting period when the loan was made
  • the date the loan was made
  • the start and end dates of the accounting period when the loan or part loan was repaid, released or written off
  • the date the loan or part loan was repaid, released or written off
  • the value of the loan or part loan repaid, released or written off
  • the date when relief is due
  • your bank or building society details if you want us to repay you by Bacs

If you’re using an older browser (for example Internet Explorer 8) you may need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

Director’s loans
Guidance on repaying director’s loans, and when you should use form L2P or form CT600A.

Corporation Tax: loans to participators by close companies (CT600A (2006) Version 2)
Use supplementary pages CT600A (2006) Version 2 if a participator has not repaid a loan to a close company within the period.

Accounts and tax returns for private limited companies
Guidance on statutory and abbreviated annual accounts, Company Tax Returns, paying Corporation Tax, corrections, amendments and dealing with losses.

Published 4 December 2014
Last updated 25 July 2017 + show all updates
  1. Details section has been updated with additional requirements for claiming online.

  2. A new online service is available to use.

  3. First published.