Complaints to Ofsted about schools: guidance for parents

This document sets out some things you can do if you are concerned about a state-maintained school or academy.


Complaints to Ofsted about schools

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


Please also read Complain about a school or childminder.

If you are concerned about your child’s school, you should start by talking directly to the teachers or headteacher or, if necessary, the governing body or the local authority.

If you are not satisfied with the responses you have received, Ofsted may be able to help.

There are a number of things we can do, and in exceptional cases we can arrange an immediate inspection of the school.

Published 15 April 2014