Community managed libraries: good practice toolkit
- Department for Culture, Media & Sport
- Part of:
- Community managed libraries: good practice toolkit and Library services
- 23 March 2016
- Last updated:
- 13 July 2016, see all updates
This is a best practice guide, produced by the Leadership for Libraries Taskforce, for communities and heads of library services in establishing community libraries.
PDF, 416KB, 37 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This toolkit, produced by the Leadership for Libraries Taskforce is for:
- heads of library services who want to increase the involvement of community volunteers in delivering their library service
- communities who are looking to establish community libraries
- heads of library services who are supporting communities considering taking over or establishing a community managed library; or supporting a community managed library that is council led
The Taskforce believes that involving volunteers in supporting paid staff to run public libraries can be valuable in augmenting the services available and fostering close collaboration and engagement between public libraries and the community. The Taskforce does not endorse community managed libraries with no support from the local authority.
This toolkit is currently in ‘beta’, which means this is the first version. During this beta phase, we will be continually testing and improving the toolkit. We’re looking for feedback. Please let us know your thoughts by using the feedback button at the bottom of the page (or any of the case study pages). Alternatively, please email email@example.com.
Published: 23 March 2016
Updated: 13 July 2016
- Chalfont St Giles checklist and Sutton consultation case study added
- New case studies added - Harbury Village Library and Frecheville library
- Sheffield case studies added
- Gloucestershire case studies added
- First published.