The Clitheroe or Ribble Valley Line runs from Manchester Victoria through Blackburn to the market town of Clitheroe in Lancashire. A few passenger services run along the line towards the Yorkshire town of Hellifield, where it joins the Settle-Carlisle railway. The line passes over the Whalley viaduct.
||Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Blackburn
||About 1 hours and 17 minutes — one way
||Clitheroe Line Community Rail Partnership (CRP)
||Community Rail Lancashire
The Clitheroe Line serves the following 17 stations:
- Ramsgreave and Wilpshire
- Bromley Cross
- Hall i’ th’ Wood
- Moses Gate
- Salford Crescent
- Salford Central
- Manchester Victoria
The Clitheroe Line was designated as a community rail service by the Department for Transport in March 2007. The designation covers the passenger train service between Clitheroe and Manchester Victoria. Apart from Salford Crescent, Salford Central and Manchester Victoria, all stations listed fall within the designation.
Network Rail strategic route plan
The Clitheroe Line has been identified as a rural route within Network Rail’s Cross Pennines, Yorks and Humber and north west (H) strategic route plan.
The Clitheroe Line is supported by the Clitheroe Line Community Rail Partnership. This partnership is one of 5 to fall under the umbrella of Community Rail Lancashire. Altogether the partnerships support 7 lines or routes in Lancashire:
- Clitheroe Line (Clitheroe to Manchester) — Clitheroe Line CRP
- East Lancashire Line (Preston to Colne / Burnley Manchester Road) — the East Lancashire CRP
- Bentham Line (Leeds to Morecambe / Heysham Port) — Leeds, Lancaster and Morecambe CRP
- South Fylde Line (Blackpool South to Preston) — the South Fylde Line CRP
- Preston to Ormskirk Line — the West of Lancashire CRP
- Wigan to Southport Line — the West of Lancashire CRP
- Wigan to Kirkby Line — the West of Lancashire CRP
The Wigan to Southport and Wigan to Kirkby Lines are not designated community rail routes.