Children missing education
Statutory guidance for local authorities and advice for other groups on helping children who are missing education get back into it.
This statutory guidance is for local authorities. Statutory guidance is issued by law; you must follow it unless you have a good reason not to.
It applies to:
- local-authority-maintained schools
- academies and free schools
- independent schools
This guidance will help local authorities comply with their legal responsibilities to:
- identify children missing education
- get these children back into education
Other organisations or people helping children who are missing education will also find this guidance useful, including:
- school leaders
- school staff
- governing bodies
- youth offending teams
- health professionals
- the police
Published: 26 November 2013
Updated: 5 September 2016
- We've updated the guidance to help local authorities and schools meet the recent changes to the Education (Pupil Registration) (England) Regulations 2006.
- First published.