Care of unaccompanied and trafficked children
Statutory guidance for local authorities on the care of unaccompanied asylum seeking and trafficked children
This guidance is for:
- local authorities
It applies to:
- local authority chief executives
- directors and lead members of children’s services
- social care professionals
- police officers
- health education and youth offender services practitioners
- those who care for looked after children
It sets out the steps local authorities should take to plan for the provision of support for looked-after children who are unaccompanied asylum seeking children and child victims of trafficking.
For detailed guidance on how to identify and protect trafficked children before they become looked after, read ‘Safeguarding children who may have been trafficked’.
Statutory guidance sets out what schools and local authorities must do to comply with the law. You should follow the guidance unless you have a very good reason not to.