Authorise an adviser to deal with your High Income Child Benefit Charge

Use the online form service or postal form CH995 to allow a tax adviser or accountant to act on your behalf for High Income Child Benefit Charge issues.


Authorise a tax adviser online (sign in using Government Gateway)

Authorise a tax adviser using the print and post form

Authorise a tax adviser using the postal form

Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


You can authorise a tax adviser (for example, an accountant) to act on your behalf to deal with any issues with your High Income Child Benefit Charge.

To authorise a tax adviser using the online service, you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you use the service.

After they’re authorised, they’ll be able to contact the Child Benefit Office:

  • about any Child Benefit payments you’ve had
  • if you decide to stop or restart your Child Benefit payments
  • to discuss issues relating to your Child Benefit for you

The person who claimed Child Benefit must fill in the form.
You must tell the Child Benefit Office immediately if you want to remove or change your nominated tax adviser and cancel this authorisation.

When you use the online form service

You’ll be given a reference number when you submit the online form, you can use this reference to track the progress of the form.

If you use the print and post form

Instead of applying online, you can fill in the form on screen, print it off and send it to us.

You’ll need to fully fill in the form before you can print it off. You cannot save a partly completed form so have all your information with you before you start to fill it in.

You’ll need:

  • your National Insurance number (you’ll find this on your payslip, P60 and tax return)
  • your child’s first name, last name and date of birth
  • your tax adviser’s name or business name, and address

Send your form to:

Child Benefit Office
PO Box 1
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE88 1AA

If you send the form by post, you cannot track its progress online.

If you cannot use the online service or fill in the form on screen you can print it off, fill it in by hand and post it to the address above.

Before you start

If you’re using an older browser (for example Internet Explorer 8) you’ll need to update it or use a different browser. Find out more about browsers.

If you’re using a mobile device, for example, a smart phone, an iPad or other tablet, make sure you’re set up to print from your device before you start.

Claim and deal with Child Benefit for someone else
Guidance on how to deal with the Child Benefit Office for someone else.

Published 9 April 2014
Last updated 4 March 2021 + show all updates
  1. The 'If you use the print and post form' section has been updated so that you no longer need your Child Benefit number to complete the print and post form when applying to authorise an adviser to deal with your High Income Child Benefit Charge.

  2. A Welsh translation has been added.

  3. Guidance has been updated to show you can no longer use form 64/8 to authorise a tax adviser.

  4. A new tax adviser print and post form is available to use

  5. A new online form is available to use.

  6. Welsh translation added.

  7. First published.