The expert panel will consider the merits of each case to establish whether the criteria below has been met. They will make a clinical assessment of an exceptional and unmet clinical need which the product would address, taking into account the urgency of the case and any prior treatment with the product, through clinical trial or otherwise.
The expert panel will also consider the products in question and the appropriateness of alternative courses of action.
There are currently 8 members of the expert panel. The register of interests for members of the expert panel lists their occupations, the organisations they work for and the nature of any interests they might have.
- Dr Michael McBride (panel chair), Chief Medical Officer for Northern Ireland
- Dr Clare Gerada, MBE, GP and former chair, Royal College of General Practitioners
- Professor Martin Kirkpatrick, Consultant Paediatric Neurologist, Tayside Children’s Hospital and Honorary Professor, University of Dundee.
- Dr Jenny Harries, OBE, Deputy Medical Director and Regional Director South for Public Health England
- Dr Jackie Cornish, OBE National Clinical Director Children, Young People and Transition to Adulthood in NHS England
- Professor Tom Walley, CBE Professor of Clinical Pharmacology at Liverpool University and Director of the NIHR Health Technology Assessment Programme
- Professor Finbar O’Callaghan, Professor of Paediatric Neuroscience at the UCL GOS Institute of Child Health and (Hon) Consultant Paediatric Neurologist at Great Ormond Street Hospital
- Andrew Evans (non-voting observer) Chief Pharmacist, Wales