Guidance for submitting Budget representations.
Guidance on how to submit a Budget representation, which is a written representation from an interest group, individual or representative body to HM Treasury with the aim of commenting on government policy and/or suggesting new policy for inclusion in the upcoming Budget.
HM Treasury welcomes representations as part of the policy-making process. The views of stakeholders are gratefully received.
Following the Chancellor’s announcement at Autumn Statement 2016, there will now only be one fiscal event in each year, held in the Autumn. From 2018 there will be a Spring Statement, responding to the forecast from the OBR, but no major fiscal event.
In line with this, the representations process will not open ahead of Spring Statement 2018. You are therefore strongly encouraged to submit a representation ahead of Autumn Budget 2017 in order to contribute to the policy-making process. Although the date of Autumn Budget 2017 has not yet been confirmed, we have opened the Budget representations portal earlier than usual to allow more time for HM Treasury to note and consider representations.
The representations process for Autumn Budget 2017 is now closed.
Published: 16 January 2014
Updated: 23 September 2017
- Updated as the deadline for representations has ended. The survey is now closed.
- Updated with details of how to submit a representation for Autumn Budget 2017
- Updated with Spring Budget 2017 information.
- Updated as the deadline for Autumn Statement 2016 representations ended on 7 October. The survey is now closed.
- Details of Autumn Statement 2016 added.
- representations for Budget 2016 are now open
- Updated for Autumn Statement 2015
- Updated to reflect that the July 2015 Budget submissions deadline has now passed. The Chancellor of the Exchequer will give his Budget to Parliament on Wednesday 8 July 2015.
- Updated for Budget July 2015
- Updated for Budget 2015
- Updated to reflect guidance on submitting representations for Autumn Statement 2014.
- First published.