Natural England has issued 11 new badger control licences. 19 companies met the criteria to continue badger control in 2018 in the following counties:
Natural England takes account of the criteria in Defra’s guidance to Natural England when developing and issuing licences.
The licences are for 4 years. They allow the companies to:
- cull badgers each year between 1 June and 31 January
- decide the start dates for culling activity
Natural England has set licensees a maximum and minimum number of badgers to control.
Protected sites in the Annex Bs are not necessarily part of any active operations. Active operations can and will only occur on protected sites where the landowner has granted permission.
The licences only permit badger control outside the closed seasons for:
- controlled shooting – 1 February to 31 May
- cage-trapping and shooting – 1 December to 31 May
- cage-trapping and vaccination – 1 December to 30 April