Licence for a gathering of poultry or other captive birds - you don't need to apply for this but must meet conditions.
You don’t need to apply for this licence but you must meet all the licence conditions when holding a bird fair, market, show or other bird gathering.
The bird gatherings general licence was updated on 15 May 2017. Bird gatherings are permitted, subject to some specific identity and health checks and biosecurity measures. Our avian influenza (bird flu) guidance gives more details on current disease risks.
Published: 11 October 2010
Updated: 14 June 2017
- Updated notes as the Prevention Zone in certain areas of Lancashire, Cumbria and Merseyside has now been lifted.
- Updated with the new general licence which applies from 15 May 2017.
- Updated with plans to lift the ban on gatherings, across England from 15 May, except in certain areas of Lancashire and Cumbria.
- Updated following the announcement that the ban on poultry gatherings will be lifted on 15 May 2017.
- Updated following the announcement of a temporary suspension on certain bird gatherings from 20 December 2016.
- First published.