Baseline design for a 210 place primary school with a 26 place nursery.
Baseline designs for a 210 place primary school and a 26 place nursery
The design shown is for a compact single storey building for 210 pupils and a 26 place nursery. The distinction between the hall, kitchen and classroom suites allows the structure of each to be considered separately, maximising cost efficiency.
Key features of the design are that:
- all classrooms have direct access to the outdoors
- toilets for the youngest pupils are directly off the classrooms for better staff supervision (one toilet is positioned close to one of the main exits allowing it to be reached during breaktimes without going into the main school)
- separate access points around the building ensure there is no congestion at the start and end of the day (nursery and reception pupils can enter directly via their coat storage area)
- all classrooms are orthogonal, 7.2 metres deep and lit from both sides by daylight
- roof lights bring daylight into circulation areas
- air is drawn across the classrooms and out through high-level windows ensuring good ventilation
- services and security are zoned to allow for different uses of the school
- the classroom and administration suites could form a separate block on a school site where the hall is being retained
- the main reception provides a controlled entry point for visitors with easy access to the hall for after-school community events