Baseline design: 180 place primary school with a 26 place nursery
Baseline design for a 180 place primary school with a 26 place nursery.
PDF, 541KB, 1 page
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com . Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Baseline design for a 180 place school with a 26 place nursery
The design shown is a compact single-storey building for 180 infant pupils with a 26 place nursery. Key features of the design are that:
- all classrooms have direct access to the outdoors
- toilets for the youngest pupils are directly off the classrooms for better staff supervision
- 1 toilet is positioned close to one of the main exits allowing it to be reached during break times without going into the main school
- separate access points around the building ensure there is no congestion at the start and end of the day
- nursery and reception pupils can enter directly via their coat storage area
- all classrooms are orthogonal, 7.2 metres deep and lit from both sides by daylight
- roof-lights bring daylight into circulation areas
- air is drawn across the classrooms and out through high-level windows ensuring good ventilation
- services and security are zoned to allow for different uses of the school
- the classroom and administration suites could form a separate block on a school site where the hall is being retained
- the main reception provides a controlled entry point for visitors with easy access to the hall for after school community events