- Public Health England
- Part of:
- Sickle cell and thalassaemia screening: commission and provide, Adult carriers: sickle cell, thalassaemia, unusual haemoglobin, and Population screening programmes: leaflets and how to order them
- 1 January 2014
- Last updated:
- 17 July 2017, see all updates
This leaflet can help healthcare professionals speak with parents at risk of having a baby with sickle cell disease.
This publication explains the risks for a fetus when both parents carry an unusual haemoglobin gene, at least one of which is sickle cell.
The leaflet includes information about:
- what sickle cell disease is
- the different conditions the baby might inherit
- diagnostic testing for sickle cell
- treatment options
- having another baby
Published: 1 January 2014
Updated: 17 July 2017
- Updated version of leaflet.
- First published.