Farmers use veterinary medicines to improve the health and welfare of their animals.
The Veterinary Medicines Directorate arranges collections of samples of animal products to be tested for residues of veterinary medicines under an analytical surveillance programme.
Information covered includes:
- why veterinary medicines are needed
- what tests are carried out before a medicine is authorised
- who checks things work in practice
- what medicines records must be kept
- what causes have there been for unacceptable residues found
- practical steps to avoid unacceptable residues