UK animal transporter: application for type 2 authorisation

Form for animal transporter to apply for type 2 authorisation for all road journeys including over 8 hours.


WIT02: Application for UK animal transporter authorisation for type 2 authorisations (valid for all journeys including over 8 hours) for road transport

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.


This form should be completed by animal transporters to apply for type 2 authorisation. This is valid for all road journeys including those over 8 hours.

Council Regulation (EC) 1/2005 defines a transporter as any person transporting animals on his own account or for a third party.

Only one application can be made per transporter. Any person or business may apply but will be limited to one authorisation per individual or business.

In line with the Regulations, applicants must provide valid certificates of competence when applying for a long journey transporter authorisation.

All drivers and attendants responsible for transporting horses, sheep, goats, cattle, pigs and poultry on journeys over 8 hours must have a long journey certificate of competence specific to each species to be transported.

Drivers and attendants responsible for transporting other species do not require a certificate of competence.

The form can be submitted by post, email or fax. Emailed forms must be signed in Part 3.

Published 30 March 2011
Last updated 8 January 2019 + show all updates
  1. Documents updated with new email address
  2. Updated forms
  3. Documents updated
  4. AHVLA documents have been re-assigned to the new Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA).
  5. First published.