Research and analysis
Analysis of the impacts of migration
- Migration Advisory Committee
- Part of:
- Migration Advisory Committee reports: analysis of the impacts of migration, Migration Advisory Committee: reports, and Immigration and borders
- 1 January 2012
Report analysing the impacts of migration by the Migration Advisory Committee.
PDF, 1.89MB, 156 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
Most new immigration policies are subject to an impact assessment (IA). The Migration Advisory Council’s remit requires it to evaluate the present method used in immigration IAs and to suggest alternatives.
This report concentrates on 3 areas:
- whose welfare should be considered – the ‘resident’ population or that of the population plus the immigrants?
- do immigrants displace British workers in the labour market?
- how can less easily monetised factors – eg congestion, crime and consumption of education and health services – be included in the calculation?
Published: 1 January 2012