The directions enable the NHS Trust Development Authority (NHS TDA) to take over certain functions currently managed by the Department of Health, strategic health authorities and the Appointments Commission.
The functions are:
- appointing board members to NHS trusts, trustees to NHS trusts and foundation trusts, and assisting with board appointments to strategic health authorities and primary care trusts
- assessing readiness and supporting NHS trust applications for foundation trust authorisation
- advising Secretary of State on the need to place an individual NHS trust into the unsustainable provider regime
- overseeing NHS trust planning on providing NHS services from April 2013 onwards
- assessing feasibility and advising Secretary of State on mergers and acquisitions of NHS trusts by other NHS trusts or foundation trusts
- approving capital investments or significant commercial transactions by NHS trusts.