A technical paper which examines ways of measuring the extent to which adults participate in culture and sport.
The DCMS measure participation using the Taking Part survey. Participation is defined as taking part in 2 or more different cultural or sport sectors at the required frequency of participation:
- recreational physical activity and sport (participated in 30 minutes of moderate intensity level sport and active recreation on 3 or more days in the past week )
- arts activity (engaged in the arts at least 3 times in the past 12 months)
- museum and gallery visits (attended a museum or gallery at least once in the past 12 months)
- heritage site visits (visited at least two historic environment sites in the past 12 months)
- library visits (used a public library service at least once in the past 12 months)