Lord Howe was appointed Deputy Leader of the House of Lords and Minister of State for Defence in May 2015. He is a Conservative member of the House of Lords.
He was educated at Rugby School and Christ Church, Oxford.
Lord Howe served as Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food from 1992 to 1995 and as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Ministry of Defence from 1995 to 1997. In opposition he served as Spokesperson for Health from 1997 to 2010.
Career outside politics
He joined Barclays Bank in 1973, where he served in a number of managerial and senior managerial posts both overseas and in London before being appointed London director of Adam & Co plc in 1987.
Lord Howe is married with 4 children.
Deputy Leader of the House of Lords
The Deputy Leader of the House of Lords supports the House of Lords in its job of questioning government ministers, improving legislation and debating topics of national significance.
Minister of State for Defence
The minister is responsible for ceremonial duties, commemorations and Spokesman in the House of Lords on all defence matters including:
- Efficiency Programme
- EU relations, including Brexit
- ceremonial duties, medallic recognition and protocol policy and casework
- engagement with retired senior defence personnel and wider opinion formers
- community engagement
- arms control and proliferation, including export licensing
- UK Hydrographic Office
- Statutory Instrument Programme
- Australia, Far East
- defence fire and rescue
- London estate
- Defence Medical Services
- museums and heritage
- ministerial correspondence and PQs
Previous roles in government
- 2010 to 2015
- 65th Anniversary of Korean War Armistice Agreement
- Soldiering on Awards
- British Medical Association Armed Forces Conference
- Defence Fire and Rescue Project
- Bids open to host annual Armed Forces Day National Event in 2019
- Defence Minister reaffirms UK commitment to European security
- Hundreds of Service personnel support London Poppy Day
- Royal Air Force squadrons recognised for gallantry
- Armed Forces celebrate Raksha Bandhan with the Hindu Community
- Armed Forces Muslim Forum Celebrates Eid with the Muslim Community