Antonia Romeo is Her Majesty’s Consul General in New York, and Director-General Economic and Commercial Affairs USA.
As Director-General Economic and Commercial Affairs USA, Antonia directs the trade, business and prosperity work of the UK Government across the United States, including oversight of the North American operations of the Department for International Trade, the foreign commercial arm of the UK Government. As Consul General, she is responsible for promoting the UK’s economic profile, foreign policy, and national security priorities in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut’s Fairfield County. She is also the Government’s Special Envoy to the US technology companies.
Previously, Antonia was Director-General and Head of the Economic and Domestic Secretariat in the Cabinet Office, responsible for coordinating policy advice to the Prime Minister and the Cabinet, and for the operation of the Implementation Task Forces to deliver the Prime Minister’s top policy priorities.
Antonia began her career in the private sector, at strategy consultancy firm Oliver Wyman. She joined the Civil Service in 2000 as an economist. She has held many high-ranking posts in Her Majesty’s Government, including:
- Director-General, Criminal Justice at the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), responsible for all criminal justice policy and major programmes
- Director-General, Transformation at MoJ, responsible for reform and savings programmes, strategy, Digital Services, communications, Group HR and Group estates
- Executive Director, Enterprise and Reform at Cabinet Office, responsible for reforming the Government’s governance and Board model, working with businesses
- Director (Policy) at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Principal Private Secretary to the Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice at MoJc
Antonia holds an MA (PPE) from Oxford University, an MSc (Economics) from the London School of Economics, and an Advanced Management diploma from Columbia Business School. She is a member of the BritishAmerican Business International Advisory Board.
British Consul General in New York
The Consul General is the senior UK official in a Consulate General, which is a subordinate office to the Embassy or High Commission, usually located in another major city. The Consul General represents the UK government and is typically responsible for consular, visa and trade activities in their city or region.
Director-General Economic and Commercial Affairs USA
The Director-General Economic and Commercial Affairs USA sits on the Board of Department for International Trade, the foreign commercial arm of the UK government, and leads its operations across the USA.
Previous roles in government
Director General, Economic and Domestic Secretariat
- 2015 to 2015
Government's Special Envoy to the U.S. technology companies
- 2015 to 2015
Director General, Criminal Justice
- 2011 to 2015