Antonia Romeo is Permanent Secretary of the Department for International Trade.
Previously, Antonia was Her Majesty’s Consul General in New York, and Director-General Economic and Commercial Affairs USA. In this role Antonia directed the trade, business and prosperity work of the UK Government across the United States, and led promotion of the UK’s economic profile, foreign policy, and national security priorities in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Connecticut’s Fairfield County.
Antonia began her career in the private sector, at strategy consultancy firm Oliver Wyman. She joined the Civil Service in 2000 as an economist. Her previous senior roles in Her Majesty’s Government include:
- Special Envoy to the US technology companies
- Director-General and Head of the Economic and Domestic Secretariat in the Cabinet Office, responsible for coordinating policy advice to the Prime Minister and the Cabinet, and delivery of the PM’s top priorities
- Director-General, Criminal Justice at the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), responsible for all criminal justice policy and major programmes
- Director-General, Transformation at MoJ, responsible for reform and savings programmes, strategy, Digital Services, communications, Group HR and Group estates
- Executive Director, Enterprise and Reform at Cabinet Office, responsible for reforming the Government’s governance and Board model, working with businesses
- Director of Policy at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office
- Principal Private Secretary to the Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice at MoJ
Antonia holds an MA (PPE) from Oxford University, an MSc (Economics) from the London School of Economics, and an Advanced Management Programme diploma from Columbia Business School. She is a member of the BritishAmerican Business International Advisory Board.
She is married to John and they have 3 children.
The Permanent Secretary is responsible for leading the Department for International Trade.
Previous roles in government
Director-General Economic and Commercial Affairs USA
- 2016 to 2017
British Consul General in New York and Director General of International Trade North America
- 2016 to 2017
Director General, Economic and Domestic Secretariat
- 2015 to 2015
Government's Special Envoy to the U.S. technology companies
- 2015 to 2016
Director General, Criminal Justice
- 2011 to 2015