We oversee the youth justice system in England and Wales.
We work to prevent children and young people under 18 from offending or re-offending. We ensure custody is safe and secure, and addresses the causes of their offending behaviour.
Who we are
We are an organisation of around 230 people. Our headquarters are in London, and we have regional offices throughout England and Wales.
Within England and Wales we’re responsible for:
- overseeing youth justice services
- the placing of children and young people remanded or sentenced to custody
- advising the Secretary of State for Justice on the operation of, and standards for, the youth justice system
- providing a ‘secure estate’ for children and young people, with young offender institutions, secure training centres and secure children’s homes
- making grants to local authorities or other bodies for the development of plans that support our targets
- commissioning and publishing research on preventing youth offending
From 2014 to 2015, our priorities will be to:
- reduce reoffending by young people
- support the Transforming Youth Custody programme