Who we are
We are an organisation of around 100 people and our headquarters is in London.
Our vision is for a youth justice system that sees children as children, treats them fairly and helps them to build on their strengths so they can make a constructive contribution to society. This will prevent offending and create safer communities with fewer victims.
One of our main functions is to monitor the operation of the youth justice system and the provision of youth justice services. Within England and Wales we’re responsible for:
- using information and evidence to form an expert view of how to get the best outcomes for children who offend and for victims of crime
- advising the Secretary of State for Justice, government departments, local authorities, those working in youth justice services and other organisations about how well the system is operating, and how improvements can be made
- identifying and sharing best practice
- promoting the voice of the child, including taking advice from our youth advisory panel of young adults who have current or previous experience of the youth justice system
- commissioning research and publishing information in connection with good practice
- monitoring the youth justice system and the provision of youth justice services
- making grants, with the approval of the Secretary of State, for the purposes of the operation of the youth justice system and services
- providing information technology related assistance for the operation of the youth justice system and services
From 2020 to 2021, our strategic objectives are to:
- strengthen and enhance the delivery of our statutory functions
- see a youth justice system that sees children as children first, and offenders second
- see an improvement in the standards of custody for children and promote further rollout of constructive resettlement
- influence the youth justice system to treat children fairly and reduce over-representation
- see a reduction in serious youth violence and child criminal exploitation
You can find out more information in our annual report and accounts.