We handle disputes about buildings, engineering and surveying. Cases that we hear include:
- claims about services provided by engineers, architects, surveyors and other professionals in this sector
- claims about local authority duties relating to land and buildings
- environmental claims (eg pollution)
- claims resulting from fires
- challenges to decisions of arbitrators in construction and engineering disputes
We do not normally handle cases with a value of less than £250,000 unless there is a good reason, eg the case involves a new or difficult point of law or the case is international.
Who we are
We are a specialist group of courts within the Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court of Justice. We include both the High Court and the County Court.
Our High Court work is handled at the Rolls Building, London and at district registries across England and Wales. Cases are heard by a High Court judge and by certain circuit judges and recorders.
Our County Court work is handled at centres across England and Wales. Cases are heard by circuit judges, recorders and certain district judges.